Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Sure Michigan! : A Novice Lighthouse Keeper's Journal

Two days to go until we leave for an adventure that has been five months in the planning: to be Volunteer Lighthouse Keepers at a Michigan Historical site in Northern Michigan.  We are sure our friends are sick of hearing about this, and we wondered ourselves if it was ever really going to happen, but after overcoming serious obstacles, we are actually going!  (I said this much better earlier today, but accidentally deleted the whole post...so here goes...)  We'll try to do brief daily posts from the Old Mission Point lighthouse, where we will be staying in the 1870s keepers quarters (fun!)...the historical commission will keep us plenty busy, the views will be spectacular, and we have no idea what to expect...that's the exciting part;-)  So, stay tuned, we'll have fun using this as our site!  Away we go!  

6 comments:

  1. okay...second try at a comment. Hopefully, I didn't really do it twice! Nice job on the blog and looking forward to seeing you two 'up north'! Be careful on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT adventure!! So.cool. Looking forward to hearing all about this!!

    :) Adrienne (wait'll I tell Steve - he's going to be so jealous. Poor guy flew from NYC to Seattle yesterday, so I'd better wait until he's some rested before I tell him what you lucky ducks are up to!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi to you both! The wind is blowing COLD up here and there are icecycles lining the eves. Jack has already said, "never again!" as this is alot of WORK...but I think it's grand! Glass half-empty or half-full thing going on...but it's how you look at it, right? He shovelled today, I ran around setting the timers to synchronize for the park grounds holiday lights. He brought his guitar and will be ready for a performance soon...either that or I plan to HIDE it on him to give me some relief! Ah, cabin fever!

      Delete
  3. Special thanks to my crazy friends who suggested this idea...at this point I am tempted to leave the laptop behind and really have a peaceful adventure without technology! But, I need to "get with it" and JUST DO IT! Santa Jack has made sure the elves and reindeer will be busy at home here while we are adventuring, so things will still be happening all over Michigan. He is practicing his Ho Ho Ho's and I am wringing my hands that we haven't forgotten anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see Tudi and Jack at their beautiful lighthouse. Got to sit on Santa Jack's lap for a photo. Tudi and Jack are natural "keepers" and doing a great job. Very busy. Glad we got to stop by. Keep the lights burning Abbie, Jack and Tudi. Hugs, Karol & Lauri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, great fun! Hey folks, I hope this blog is working right for all of you. Are you able to comment without getting bumped off? Also, be sure to look at the NEWER posts to see the latest ones. I am so new to this blogging stuff...Dave Rayburn, if you are out there, I could use some tips! I know you are King Blogger! Bye for now!

      Delete